Thursday, January 24, 2019

My News Intake

A news source I've always relied on is CNN. I find CNN's layout to be easy to follow as well as relevant. CNN established a morning newsletter a year or two ago titled "Good Morning from CNN: 5 Things" which highlights 5 key things that happened since the last newsletter, which is sent out every morning Monday thru Friday. This is brilliant because it is easy to access for most people, condensed enough to get the main points, and keeps people up to date. Along with the 5 major topics, CNN includes odd news stories as well as a video clip of something popular in media to brighten your day, whether its funny, cute, or a whole different tier; dog videos.
Key Things I Take Away from CNN
  1. Cnn's 5 Things Newsletter 
  2. The actual CNN channel has interesting anchors 
  3. CNN I feel has a good grasp on political and global affairs 


The Washington Post is essentially a dream job for me. I really enjoy the post due to the depth of its articles, especially its more global feature stories.The Post grabs my attention and makes it easy for me to find the important breaking news. Something I like about the Washington Post is its ease. When you go to the main page, towards the top there is a horizontal bar that says "In the News" and provides key terms that are trending, making it very easy to find relevant articles.

Key Things I Take Away from the Washington Post
  1. "In the News" trending stories bar
  2. Recently, the addition of the Government Shutdown length gadget on main page
  3. Feature Stories are incredible 
Conde Nast is another dream/ideal job for me in the future. Something I really love about Conde Nast is how CLEAN the website is, its actually stunning. I think it is also very interesting how a travel magazine sends out newsletters with travel tips. That is something which can be a great resource for people, and to help get more individuals to travel! Conde Nast utilizes "moving images" while looking at previews for some articles which brings readers into the stories. A great example of this can be found at this link.

Key Things I Take Away from Conde Nast 
  1. The most clean and aesthetically pleasing website
  2. Because of how clean it is, I feel as though it is almost inspiring which makes people want to travel 
  3. Moving Images/Videos look awesome and draw readers in 
NPR has always felt like a reliable source for me. NPR provides clean information which makes its readers think. NPR creates this fantastic blend on its website of both podcasts/radio as well as articles which creates a more intimate and in depth experience for readers and listeners. This also appeals to a more broad audience, by providing its audience the opportunity to either read an article or listen to a podcast. NPR is futuristic in this sense, as most journalists these days must specialize in more than one topic.

Key Things I Take Away From NPR
  1. Podcasts are becoming a huge trend, giving NPR a leg up in the Journalism industry
  2. NPR creates broad audience 
  3. Clean cut, to the point news
Vogue doesn't consist of hard news which can be a breath of fresh air. For those with an interest in pop culture and fashion, Vogue is a great option. Vogue's website is very clean which makes it appealing. Vogue to me feels like its so much more than paparazzi harassing celebrities and designers which gives me a sense of relief and respect. Vogue is both an online platform as well as a magazine. Magazines have a special place in my heart, as I think we still need to embrace print journalism. Vogue offers a wide arrangement of news and entertainment which keeps readers coming

Key Things I Take Away From Vogue
  1. Really appealing website
  2. Online and Print!! Yay!!
  3. I get Miranda Priestly vibes (the devil wears prada anyone?)
  4. Great blend of pop culture, body empowerment AND beauty tips!!! What more could I ask for?

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Newseum & NPR

While I took a trip to D.C. earlier this month, my club and I had the privilege to tour NPR and go to the Newseum. This trip really allowed ...