Friday, May 3, 2019

Ted Talk Review

Ted Talks are really something I value. I love how engaged and interesting the speakers are.
I really found this Tattoo guy to be rather peculiar yet intriguing. I've never thought as my print on the internet to be a tattoo, more like a sharpie marker mark on your hand; hard to get rid of, but possible if you try hard enough and have enough hand sanitizer and a tolerance for rubbing skin on skin. I also really enjoyed his relations to his tattoo theory to Greek mythology. 

Cathrine Crump's video grabbed my attention because of her topic. It's insane that surveillance equipment is so capable of tracking us and everything we do. It's a complete violation of privacy. Especially the license plate tracker, that piece of equipment has so much power. To be able to capture and store the data of every person, innocent or guilty, is insane. 

I also loved and found to be very ironic the one about phones and wiretapping. We've had huge US presidency scandals about wiretapping, yet here we are, wiretapping our own citizens and invading in privacy. It's wicked unethical and rather hypocritical. I was relieved to hear that companies have been working to combat this, such as apple with protection against wiretapping within texts from iphone to iphone, same with whatsapp.

We say the US is the home of the free, but technology is making it out to be more like the jail of the "free".  We should definitely work to evolve this issue and work towards better privacy rights.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Newseum & NPR

While I took a trip to D.C. earlier this month, my club and I had the privilege to tour NPR and go to the Newseum. This trip really allowed ...