Thursday, March 21, 2019

8 Values of Free Expression

On the list of the 8 values of Free Expression, my group and I came to the conclusion that the 2 values that hold the most importance is Individual Self Fulfillment and Checking on Governmental Power. These 2 were held to the top 2 of our own personal values because of our views on the government and our career choice.

As people who want to work in the communications field, having the value of Individual Self Fulfillment, or being an individual in a society with free speech and using that free speech, in the right ways, is crucial for our career paths. As someone who is a Journalism and an International Relations major, examining our government and realizing the freedoms we have that other countries that I may be placed in don't creates a special feeling of a need to not abuse, but use my freedom of speech to the fullest, to convey messages for the voiceless.

Checking on governmental power is something that more Americans should be doing. In recent time, we have been more vocal about our satisfaction, but more dissatisfaction, with our current administration and the way situations are being handled in these current times. By using individual self fulfillment to have power over our government, the people can be leaders and forerunners in creating a bigger, better, more prosperous, and inclusive tomorrow.

One of the values on this list that I value in my heart deeply is tolerance. We were discussing in class how the use of the derogatory word for people of color has become more taboo to say. I do agree that it is said muuuuuch less frequently, and that makes me incredibly happy. However, at our very white majority institution, I literally hear racial slurs such as this one dropped on the daily by non people of color. Just because it's a social standard to not say things, that doesn't mean people will care of these standards or the facts behind why terms are so awful, and would rather keep saying things that they don't even realize are offensive and express deep racism and intolerance, purely because it gives them attention, good or bad, or because they truly just don't have any regard for anyone else, especially minorities. If we want to promote tolerance, something needs to change from within our souls, which unfortunately is something that I don't see many people adapting to.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Newseum & NPR

While I took a trip to D.C. earlier this month, my club and I had the privilege to tour NPR and go to the Newseum. This trip really allowed ...